Applied Behavior Analysis (Cooper)
||Author(s): John O. Cooper, Timothy E. Heron, William L. Heward
Difference between 2nd and 1st editions
Side by side comparison of table of contents helps to figure out the most significant changes.
Key differences between 2nd and 1st editions
- Period between previous and current publications: 20 years (1987 vs 2007).
- Cooper, Heron, and Heward's Applied Behavior Analysis was originally published in 1987.
- The Second Edition consists of 13 parts whereas the First Edition consisted of 11 parts. The First Edition of the book is substantially smaller -- it has 149 pages less.
- Coverage of the Behavior Analyst Certification Board Fourth Edition Task list is a major distinction from the original version. The BACB did not exist in 1987. A chart at the beginning of each chapter identifies which items from the Task List are covered in that chapte.
- Another key difference is that the original edition of Applied Behavior Analysis was written exclusively by Cooper, Heron, and Heward. Several chapters in the last version were written by other behavior analysis experts.
- Other changes in the book reflect trends in the field that have occurred over the past 20 years.
- 2nd Edition presents thoroughly updated literature on major content topics. The 1st Edition provided 892 references, and the 2nd provided 1,538.
- 19 pages glossary of technical terms.
- New Chapter "Negative Reinforcement. Although negative reinforcement was introduced in the 1st edition, it occupied 3 pages and was a small part of large chapter on operant reinforcement. The chapter includes the following sections:
- Definition of Negative Reinforcement
- Escape and Avoidance Contingencies
- Characteristics of Negative Reinforcement
- Applications of Negative Reinforcement
- Ethical Considerations in the Use of Negative Reinforcement
- New Chapter "Motivating Operations". The latest version of Applied Behavior Analysis not only presents motivating operations in a full chapter, but the index provides a primary listing for motivation operations with 12 sublistings. This chapter includes the following sections:
- Definition and Characteristics of Motivating Operations
- A Critical Distinction: Motivative versus Discriminative Relations
- Unconditioned Motivating Operations (UMOs)
- Conditioned Motivating Operations (CMOs)
- General Implications of Motivating Operations for Behavior Analysis
- New Chapter "Functional Behavior Assessment" includes the following sections:
- Functions of Behavior
- Role of Functional Behavior Assessment in Intervention and Prevention
- Overview of FBA Methods
- Conducting a Functional Behavior Assessment
- Case Examples Illustrating the FBA Process
- New Chapter "Verbal Behavior" includes the following sections:
- Verbal Behavior and Properties of Language
- Development of Verbal Behavior
- Defining Verbal Behavior
- Elementary Verbal Operants
- Role of the Listener
- Identifying Verbal Operants
- Analyzing Complex Verbal Behavior
- Multiple Control
- Autoclitic Relation
- Applications of Verbal Behavior
- New Chapter "Ethical Considerations for Applied Behavior Analysts" includes the following sections:
- What Is Ethics and Why Is It Important?
- Standards of Professional Practice for Applied Behavior Analysts
- Ensuring Professional Competence
- Ethical Issues in Client Services
- Advocating for the Client
- New Chapter " Improving and Assessing the Quality of Behavioral Measurement" reflects concerns with reliability and validity of measurement and the increasing number of ways behavior analysts have used to estimate them.
2nd Edition of
Applied Behavior Analysis (Cooper)
Hardcover, 800 pages
Published by: Pearson, January 07, 2007
|| $57.66 due: Aug 03
$48.05 due: Jun 17
$38.44 due: May 18
Paperback, 760 pages
Published by: Pearson Education Limited, July 18, 2013
1st Edition of
Applied Behavior Analysis
Hardcover, 651 pages
Published by: Merril, June 19, 1987
- Used 2nd edition can save you $70.99 over the new one.
Used previous 1st edition costs $61.49 less than the used 2nd.
- The new 2nd edition costs $10.7 more then used book.