Key differences between 15th and 14th editions
- Period between current and previous publications: 3 years (2014 vs 2011).
- For the first time Garrison's book was published in 1976 under the title "Managerial accounting: concepts for planning, control, decision making"
- In the Fifteenth Edition new Foundational 15 features appear at the end of each chapter.
- Chapter 1:
- New section "Managerial Accounting: Beyond the Numbers" covers leadership skills, intrinsic motivation, extrinsic incentives, cognitive bias, and other topics.
- Chapter 2:
- Appendix 2A has been simplified to better explain how to use Microsoft Excel to perform least-squares regression analysis.
- Chapter 3:
- New Appendix 3A "Activity-Based Absorption Costing" -- this material was formerly Appendix 7B in the Fourteenth edition.
- Chapter 5:
- The assumptions of Cost-Volume-Profit analysis have been moved from the end of the chapter to the beginning.
- Chapter 6:
- New learning objective related to calculating company-wide and segment break-even points for companies with traceable fixed costs.
- New Appendix 6A "Super-Variable Costing"
- Chapter 8:
- The chapter has been renamed as "Master Budgeting" (former title "Profit Planning")
- 2 new end-of-chapter exercises that enable readers to use Microsoft Excel to answer "what-if" questions.
- Chapter 9:
- New discussion on The Variance Analysis Cycle.
- Chapter 10:
- The headings in the section on general model for standard cost variance analysis have been reversed.
- Chapter 11:
- New Business Focus feature
- 2 new In Business boxes.
- Chapter 12:
- New section "Managing Constraints"
- Several new In Business boxes
- Chapter 13:
- The learning objective pertaining to the payback period has been moved to the front of the chapter. A Microsoft Excel-based approach has been adopted for depicting net present value calculations.
- New discussion of the behavioral implications of the simple rate of return method.
- Appendix 13C "Income Taxes and the Net Present Value Method" has been completely reorganized.
- Chapter 14:
- Chapter 15:
- New Ratio Analysis -- Liquidity; Asset Management; Debt Management; Profitability; Market Performance.
15th Edition of
eBook, 800 pages
eBook ISBN: 9780077522957
Published by: BE, January 02, 2014
Hardcover, 800 pages
Published by: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, January 02, 2014
Published by: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, January 03, 2014
14th Edition of
Big Book, 832 pages
Published by: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, January 05, 2011
eBook, 832 pages
eBook ISBN: 9780077420147
Published by: Business And Economics, January 05, 2011
with Connect Plus
Hardcover, 762 pages
Published by: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, April 11, 2011
13th Edition of
Hardcover, 896 pages
Published by: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, February 09, 2009
Published by: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, July 17, 2009
Special binder-ready Loose-leaf version
Loose Leaf, 803 pages
Published by: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, July 14, 2009
- Used 15th edition can save you $11.45 over the new one.